This is a list of our favorite downtown wines bars in our hometown, New York City - perfect for those visiting NYC or locals who need a few new spots to check out.
- Terroir Tribeca has a fun wine list put together by its riesling-obsessed owner, Paul Grieco, and its very knowledgeable staff.
- Maslow6. A cool space, interesting wines, and even a small outdoor space. Tip: buy a bottle in the shop and take it into the bar next door and pay a small corkage fee. Will probably be less than buying a bottle off the list.
- Boqueria. Spanish tapas bar/restaurant offers many Spanish wines that you don’t typically see outside of Spain.
Lower East Side
- ‘inoteca. An all-Italian wine bar-restaurant offers a fabulous wine list that has some really unique offerings and some great values.
- The Ten Bells. A blackboard list of well-curated wines, all from small producers. The space has great energy!
- In Vino Wine Bar. Cool, East Village vibe with a sophisticated, well-priced list. This is one of our favorite bars in the city and is run by the knowledgeable and entertaining Keith Beavers of ABC Wine Co.
- Pata Negra. Small place, tasty tapas, well-cultivated list of wines from throughout the Spanish peninsula.
- Veloce, one of New York’s best known Italian wine bars. They have expanded their brand to include a Spanish wine bar Bar Carrera too.
- Otto. Large, stand-up bar area, massive Italian list. Every region represented with high quality options across a range of prices. Tasty Batali food as well.
- Anfora A standby in the Village, very well curated list with unique bottles, good energy, and ample seating.
- Gottino Super-cute, well-run wine bar. Go twice and the owner will welcome you by name!
- The Upholstery Store Rustic and romantic, this is a great local hangout created by NYC’s most famous Austrian chef, Kurt Gutenbrunner.
- Vin sur Vingt Charming small wine bar with very friendly bartenders. Make sure you have our wine app on your iPhone to help navigate their French-only wine list!
- El Quinto Pino is an excellent spot for Spanish wines and even sherry. Catch at bite at the bar’s sister restaurant, Txikito, for tasty Basque cuisine.
- Bar Jamon. Great Spanish wine options cultivated by one of the most passionate sommeliers in the city, Ashley Santoro.
If you have an iPhone, check out our iPhone wine app, Approach Guides Wine, which will help you navigate the wine lists at each of these places like an expert.